Delve into this episode's shownotes for
expert insights, actionable strategies,
and game-changing inspiration.
10 Episode Takeaways
- Sales training at Enterprise Rent-A-Car provides a comprehensive understanding of the business, going beyond simple transactions.
- The training program at Enterprise includes learning about the entire back end of the business and its impact on profitability.
- The training at Enterprise gives a macro view of sales, different from the quick transaction style seen in pharmaceutical sales.
- People are giving up on sales too quickly due to lack of investment in training.
- Sales training should focus on topics and stories between the lines, rather than just how to close deals.
- Training should be ongoing, not just in the beginning.
- Sales leadership and individual sellers need to take responsibility for fixing the broken sales training system.
- Live sales calls and instant feedback are beneficial in improving sales skills.
- Mike's sales journey began unexpectedly after a career in baseball.
- Bartending experience helped the speaker transition from being a sports star to serving others and sparked their interest in sales.
In this episode, Collin interviews Mike O'Kelly, a sales professional with 20 years of experience in the pharmaceutical, medical devices, and capital equipment industries. The episode covers various topics related to sales training and the challenges faced by sales professionals. Mike shares his experience in sales training at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, highlighting the comprehensive understanding of the business that it provided. He emphasizes the need for sales training to go beyond teaching simple transactions and focus on the entire back end of the business and its impact on profitability. Mike also discusses the problems with sales training and suggests potential solutions, such as ongoing training and focusing on topics and stories between the lines. The episode emphasizes the importance of proper training in sales and the need for both sales leadership and individual sellers to take responsibility for fixing the broken sales training system.
The key takeaways from this episode are the importance of comprehensive sales training that goes beyond simple transactions, the need for ongoing training throughout a sales career, and the responsibility of both sales leadership and individual sellers to improve the sales training system. Listeners will gain insights into the challenges faced in sales training and the potential solutions to improve it. They will also learn about the benefits of a macro view of sales and the impact of proper training on sales success. Overall, this episode provides valuable insights and advice for sales professionals looking to enhance their skills and succeed in their careers.
Jump to Talking Points
- [00:05:17] Experience in Sales Training at Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Speaker discusses comprehensive sales training at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
- [00:10:16] Problems with Sales Training and Potential Solutions: Speaker discusses the need for better sales training and ongoing support.
- [00:03:03] Sales journey and transition from baseball to bartending: Speaker shares their sales journey after a career in baseball.
- [00:07:41] Importance of Training in Sales and the Purpose of Rhythm: Speaker emphasizes the importance of continuous training and introduces the sales optimization tool Rhythm.
- [00:00:00] Introduction to VidU and Sales Transformation podcast: Introduction to VidU platform and Sales Transformation podcast.
- [00:01:26] Milestones and discussion of Mike O'Kelly's sales journey: Celebration of reaching a million downloads and discussion of Mike O'Kelly's sales background.
- [00:15:09] Challenges in Sales Training and Process: Discussion on the challenges faced in sales training and process.
Guest Bio (Who is Mike?)
Mike O'Kelly is a career sales professional with 20 years of experience in the pharmaceutical, medical devices, and capital equipment industries. He has achieved success in these fields and is known for his expertise in sales. In addition to his sales career, Mike is also the co-founder of a sales tech company, where he has contributed to the development of innovative sales strategies and technologies. He is passionate about helping sales professionals improve their skills and achieve their goals, which is why he hosts an outside sales podcast. Through his podcast, Mike shares valuable insights, tips, and strategies for success in the sales industry. With his extensive experience and knowledge, Mike has established himself as a trusted authority in the field of sales.
3+ Million Downloads
Subscribe now to receive a wealth of knowledge directly in your inbox and stay ahead in the ever-evolving world of sales. Each episode is packed with actionable tips, innovative insights, and transformative sales tactics designed to propel your business to new heights.