Delve into this episode's shownotes for
expert insights, actionable strategies,
and game-changing inspiration.
10 Episode Takeaways
- AJ initially had doubts about entering sales and thought they needed a high GPA for finance.
- Their experience in Shakespearean theater and professional acting helped shape their sales career.
- AJ emphasizes the importance of storytelling in sales and how it started in their early years on stage.
- Compensation and goal setting are crucial in sales teams for motivation and job satisfaction.
- Building a sales team requires sales expertise on the founding team and should not be outsourced.
- Understanding buyer personas and markets is important for success in sales.
- AJ's experience at Meltwater prepared them to start their own company, TrendKite.
- Quota Path, a sales compensation software, was created to address discrepancies in spreadsheets.
- Overcoming struggles and shifting mindset led to consistent success in closing deals.
- Messaging in seller-buyer relationships is crucial, and Quota Path was born out of frustration with confusing compensation plans.
In this episode, Colin is joined by AJ Bruno, the CEO and co-founder of Quota Path. The episode covers AJ's professional sales journey, starting with their initial doubts about entering sales and the challenges they faced. AJ shares their background in Shakespearean theater and professional acting, highlighting how those early years shaped their sales career. They discuss the importance of storytelling in sales and the lessons learned from their experience at Meltwater. The episode also delves into topics such as compensation and goal setting in sales teams, common mistakes in building a sales team, understanding buyer personas and markets, and the importance of messaging in seller-buyer relationships. The key takeaways for listeners include the significance of sales skills for running a business, the value of understanding compensation plans, the need for strong goals and a secure sales environment, and the importance of adapting messaging to the buyer's needs.
AJ talks about their initial doubts about entering sales and the challenges they faced, as well as their background in Shakespearean theater and professional acting. They emphasize the importance of storytelling in sales and how their early years on stage shaped their sales career. The episode covers various topics, including compensation and goal setting in sales teams, common mistakes in building a sales team, understanding buyer personas and markets, and the significance of messaging in seller-buyer relationships. Listeners will gain insights into the value of sales skills for running a business, the need to understand compensation plans, the importance of strong goals and a secure sales environment, and the significance of adapting messaging to the buyer's needs.
Jump to Talking Points
- [00:03:03] acting and sales career
- [00:05:39] initial doubts about entering sales and the challenges faced
- [00:08:09] overcoming struggles and shifting mindset
- [00:10:24] experience at Meltwater and starting own company
- [00:12:58] common mistakes in building a sales team
- [00:15:22] importance of understanding buyer personas and markets
- [00:17:48] importance of messaging in seller-buyer relationships and the idea behind Quota Path
- [00:20:12] Quota Path and the importance of understanding compensation plans
- [00:22:41] compensation and goal setting in sales teams
- [00:25:11] final thoughts and contact information
Guest Bio (Who is AJ?)
AJ Bruno is the CEO and co-founder of Quota Path. He has achieved success in the startup world, successfully exiting his first company in 2019. He is known for his expertise in investing in startups and serving as a mentor to aspiring entrepreneurs. AJ is a board member for Philly Startup Leaders, where he contributes to the growth and development of the startup community in Philadelphia. He is an alumni of Dream It Ventures, a startup accelerator program. AJ's dedication to his work is evident in his role as a father to three daughters, balancing his professional and personal life. With his extensive experience and credentials, AJ Bruno is a respected figure in the startup industry, known for his entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to fostering innovation.
3+ Million Downloads
Subscribe now to receive a wealth of knowledge directly in your inbox and stay ahead in the ever-evolving world of sales. Each episode is packed with actionable tips, innovative insights, and transformative sales tactics designed to propel your business to new heights.